Tuesday 14 August 2007

Library granny bag





This is a project that was finally completed beacuse our dog bit through our bookbag which we used on a weekly basis for our library books.

She chewed right through the canvas shoulderstraps : thus rendering it useless!!!

And as my 2 girls and I go to the library weekly and they sometimes take out as many as 10 books each we need a sturdy bag to carry them all home in!!!

Now the granny squares were made from leftover DK cotton ( Sirdar) in October 2005 and I had them lying around as one does in one of my many knitting/crochet /wool baskets....

The photo doesn't do the colours justice because I found a lovely bright royal blue yarn to add to my squares and I think it makes the colours sing a little louder?!

It looks navy on my screen but I guess that's because of the screen colour set up situation....

I crocheted the squares together with the royal blue and then added a border in sc( USA) OR dc ( UK) and nice long straps also in dc.

It's lined in a fine cotton to minimise weight gain but maximise strength (and use!) as books would stretch the granny squares out of all recognition I think!

Unlined it weighs 254 grammes which means I think it took about 70-80 g of the 3 main colours and the rest in the royal blue.

I used a 4.5mm hook throughout and there's surface crochet in the centre of the shoulder straps.

The straps are 130 sts long and crocheted around on both sides of the starting chain.

I liked playing with the colours and the squares and both sides of the bag are different, one is traditional with a central focus and the other has diagonals....

I'm really looking forward to using it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home