Sunday 5 October 2008

Child's version of Cinnabar by Doris Chan






















Just finished it today : it took only 1.5 weeks when crocheting in the evenings and on car journeys ...
My 8 year old requested a cardigan just like mine and I thought: I wonder if I can adapt the pattern to fit her?
She's only 8 but she's a kind of a ''chubby'' one with 83 cm chest/tum but with a short body and short arms: it's needed only 380 g of Marble Chunky.( i.e. 2 balls so it's a lovely soft and warm jumper for only £7.80!- that's the accountant coming out- oops)

Amendments made:

I started with 25 FSC ( foundation sc : a stitch explained in the back of the book with excellent diagrams) and when it came to the neck extension I added only 3 FSC instead of the 6 each side for adults.
I created the armholes after 10 rows of the yoke and then just added only 3 FSC into the underarms, but worked a shell in the middle stitch and skipped only 1 stitch either side so that the pattern continued nicely.

The body length was my daughter's choice : I wanted it quite a bit shorter but she told me what she wanted so I ran with it: the length is 31 rows from centre back neck but I think 25 would have been sufficient.
The sleeves I made to fir her arms: 48 cm from neck to wrist before adding the border.

The finished back length is 57cm and the sleeves 53cm INCLUDING the borders.
The sleeves got a 2 row dc( USA SC) border finished with 1 row crabstitch, the body has 6 rows of dc with the buttonholes worked into the right front band( only ) into the 3rd row of dc.
Again finished at end with 1 row crabstitch.( usa : reverse sc).

Arianna chose 5 deep pink buttons and chose where she wanted the top button to sit.

Photographs are to follow shortly.
I'm very relieved to report the verdict is in and:


SHE LOVES IT!!!!!
Ps the W.I.P. photo is of the yoke showing the 4 stitch markers at the corners and after the neck extensions have been added- this can be seen at the edges of the opening.
PATTERN: CINNABAR from the book: EVERYDAY CROCHET by Doris Chan.
YARN: james c brett MARBLE CHUNKY in the reds colourway.
HOOK: 6mm for body/sleeves, 5mm for borders.
NB ALL the pictures are clickable- for stitch detail.
VARIATION:
I was sorely tempted - but didn't dare to*- to vary this one just after the yoke by adding a few increases- - 2 on each front and 3 on the back- to make this flare out a bit as is the fashion at the moment- it could be more tunic - like and really cute on a small girl.
Maybe even increase- as above- at row 11 and the again at row 14 and 17?
On a slim child or in a finer yarn this could be very nice!
*=I didn't dare as A is very particular and she had ''ordered'' me to make it the same as mine....
except for the links which she wanted as buttons instead of course!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home