Sunday 2 March 2008

Here's a baby cardigan that was a dream to make!
The stitch is delightful yet easy to do and it grows really quickly: it took just 80 minutes to complete the back in size 18'' chest.

PATTERN: From KNITTING magazine issue 30 November 2006.
But worry not because I bought it as a back issue in December 2007!

I remembered the baby cardigan and hadn't bought the magazine at the time , because I was on a promise NOT to purchase 2-3 KNITTING magazines every month in the HOPE that they have just ONE crochet pattern in it! ( I don't really knit very much if at all) At £3.99 each it was thought too much of an indulgence...Anyway I digress : I didn't buy it at the time as I knew nobody with babies but recently I have a baby niece and a friend's baby boy to crochet for so I ordered the magazine.

It's called CLOUD NINE and is on page 66 designed for SIRDAR SNUGGLY and in sizes 16/18/20/22 '' chest takes 2-3 balls ( DK 175m per ball of 50 g)
I find chest sizes difficult as the baby is not to hand to measure so I looked up some tables and guessed that the age sizes are: 3 months, 12m, 24m, 2.5 yrs?

YARN USED:I used SIRDAR DENIM TWEED DK in pink mix, 170 m per 50 g ball and 2 balls completely. ( shade 639)
4 mm hook.

Finished cardigan - with buttons- weighs 102 g.

When it was almost complete I found out my niece was growing a lot so I added a bit extra for growth/contingency!
I added 7 rows to the hem, 7 fluted rows to the sleeve hems so it can be worn turned back or down in the new fashion style.
I also added 3 rows in dc to the front button band and 3 rows in pattern to the buttonhole band.
This was because I had an e-mail about the baby and in photos she looked so big that I panicked!
She in India so I won't be able to show you the cardigan on the baby!
She has black hair and huge gorgeous brown eyes so I'm sure this tweedy pink will look utterly adorable.
As long as it fits- fingers crossed!
The fabric is VERY STRETCHY and I found my own adult arm fitted nicely into the sleeve so it shouls also be easy to dress the baby in it.


Here at the right is a detail of the stitch pattern.

FOR THE USA:
Please substitute treble for every dc mentioned.
The pattern is in UK terminology also, but is very simple and only uses trebles ( USA TERM) and chains.
The yarn is Light worsted category : 3 and my choice was 50 % cotton and 50% acrylic , machine washable.

The added rows were worked from the hem downwards for - in my opinion- a pleasing contrast band.
Pictures are clickable.

Back Issues available from : http://www.the/ gmcgroup.com or http://www.knittinginstitute.co.uk/

HOPE YOU LIKE IT and comments gratefully received.


Finished sizes were:
BACK WIDTH : 11.5-12''
LENGTH: 9.5''
Sleeve width 6.5 ''
sleeve length : 8'' with flutes turned back,
9.5 '' with flutes extended .

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home