Saturday 15 September 2007

Mohair scarf: Italian yarn:quick project!!!




Above some pics of my mohair project, probable destiny a scarf.....
It was an italian mohair purchased in 1983, yes really 24 years ago- so it's almost vintage !!!!
I bought it in London and it has travelled with me in my stash ever since, Hampshire, Canada, Wales, London, Oxfordshire you name it and it's been there!!
I thought it was high time I finally MADE something with it, at the time I thought it was a bit pricey and I can't remember the brand but think it was a Filatura Da Crosa , the yarn bands have been lost as I wound it into machine knitting balls on a ball winder many years ago in Canada( 1985 I think), it was meant to be used as the weave fibre in a woven design on a knitting machine but the samples made were dissappointing and it never went anywhere after that.
I have 2 wound balls of the pinky/orange variety and then several more balls in a more purply/ pinks /reds variety that may have been a different shade as it seems quite different.
I also still have a bag full of blue/green - mainly green mohair of the same type but different colours obviously.
I made the above piece on a 7mm hook and a 27 st base chain, then worked 4 x 5 treble fans with a single treble in between.
The colours are fabulous, amazing and the photo doesn't do it justice at all, and it's worked into a very soft lacy, loose fabric, I'm sooooo pleased with it!
I went really BIG with the hook , I think a 4mm hook was recommended ( it must have been quite fine if I'd been thinking of using it on a knitting machine!)
and initially thought I'd try a 5mm or 5.5 mm hook, but this is so much better!
It shows the yarn off as it's so open and lacy.
Dimensions:
44 grammes made a scarf : 20cm wide and 125cm long.
4 pattern repeats of the fans in the width, 57 rows in the length.
Definate colour changes every 2 rows.
( 8'' by 49'' for one ball of 1.5 oz on a K 10.5 hook in 5 dc fans for the U.S.A. readers of this)
What do you think?
Now I have to decide what to do with the remaining ball of the same colour, the 2-3 balls of the purple version and the - yet to be weighed and counted- of the green variety!!!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home