Monday 31 March 2008

Another scarf but a wonderful 3 in 1 :SHAWL/scarf/SHRUG


Here is my latest scarf which is large enough to also be a shawl or a shrug- the latter because it has buttons down one side of the sleeves and button loops on the other side.....
It's made in 2 yarns both from LANA GROSSA from a lovely yarn shop in Delft, the Netherlands .
One is BINGO PRINT which is a pure merino wool, in a variegated colourway : approx DK (UK)weight- 80m to a 50g ball.
The other is LEGGERO PRINT:
a fabulous chenille yarn in an amazing colourway of 8 or more colours and shades , it's 100% microfibre and 160m to a 50g ball.
The scarf/shawl weighs 240 g and used approx 2 of Leggero and 4 of Bingo.
I used a 5mm hook in a chevron pattern which I will be adding a bit later.
There was quite a saga because halfway through I realised I needed more yarn so I phoned the shop in my pidgin Dutch and tried to explain and have them set some aside, I then had to find a way of paying as I didn't want to risk posting Euros and the shop does not take international credit cards- only Dutch ones- and instead of using PAYPAL as I SHOULD have done, I ended up using an international cheque raised by a bank- OUCH soooo expensive!!!This scarf could be pure cashmere!!!!
Then the bank got the cheque all wrong - twice!!!- first the name of the shop and then the amount and then it took 2 months to clear the bank at the other side- unbelievable the difficulties we had!!!
Eventually the yarn arrived and I could finish what I had started in September!!!!
That will teach me NOT to buy single balls for ''trying out'' next time at that shop but to go for at least 4 to 8 balls of the same...!
Anyway I LOVE the way it has turned out- very subtle colourchanges- and it's heavenly soft and warm too.
It was PURE JOY to work with.
My own little quirky TOUCH was that I changed yarn every 2 rows but I didn't want to sew in any ends so when I had completed row 4 I would drop the working yarn, put my hook around the treble at the edge 2 rows below, pick up the previous yarn and do a chain of 2 , hook round again and another 2-3 chain to reach the level of the row just completed, then I would pull the new yarn through to complete the last treble on that row and chain 3 in the new yarn- dropping the old- to start the next 2 rows.
This counted as the first treble ( the 3 ch) of the next row and in this way I had a set of button loops ready for my shawl to convert into a shrug with sleeves !
I sewed a set of small blue buttons on the opposite side of the scarf/shawl.










Dimensions and stitch pattern details are to follow shortly- in the next few days.


Labels:

1 Comments:

At 10 April 2008 at 06:48 , Blogger Retro Grandma said...

Your blog is great and I Love your scarf!
http://www.retrograndma.etsy.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home