Sunday 5 April 2009

Rippling on: new stitch in the dip: 3htr/tog: tutorial

Hello well here I am a bit later on and as promised I have taken photos of the way I work the stitches in the ''dip'' of the ripple.
The pattern said: skip one , htr one and skip one BUT after working it that way for a few rows I decided I didn't really like it.
Soooooo after the burgundy row I started the ''new'' and '' my own'' method : click and close up on the Royal blue row after the burgundy one in a previous post to see?!!Or the next post which will also show the difference!

Here foloows a step by step tutorial in pictures of how I do it: for you experts it's a 3htrtog.

Having worked your ''downsloping'' 5 htrs in the usual way you identify the next 3 stitches: see the pins?
There's a T pin, a blue headed pin and a purple headed pin in the 3 stitches identified.
You don't need pins but I was trying to make it clear.


Yarn over and stick hook into the first stitch in the usual way.Pull yarn through: you now have 3 loops on the hook.


Yarn over and stick hook into the next stitch: pull yarn through that stitch only: you now have 5 loops on the hook.



Yarn over and stick the hook into the third stitch and pull yarn through only that stitch: you now have 7 loops on the hook.




See above: 7 loops on the hook all at once. Don't work it too tight or the next bit is too hard, but also don't work it too loose or it won't look so good- practice first? It really isn't hard with a bit of practice.
Yarn over and pull yarn through ALL 7 loops on the hook in ONE go.

One loop on the hook and it looks as the photo above?

Now you'll work the first of the next 5 normal htrs but control the yarn you don't want it too loose.... Here it is with the yarn over worked and am about to pull the yarn through. Now work the rest in the usual way until the next ''dip''.
If you have any problems: do let me know and I'll try to help.


HAVE A BEARK AND A CUP OF TEA OR A WALK IN THE GARDEN!!!!
And now for the edges: which you'll want to keep nice and straight: I have devised the following:

EDGE STITCHES TUTORIAL

You've worked most of the row and have worked 5 htrs since the last group of 3 in one stitch: ie since the last ''peak''.There's 2 stitches left: a ''proper'' htr and the 2 chain which you worked at the beginning of the previous row.


The above is your starting point, yes? It looks like this?


You are going to work a 2htrtog. or 2 htrs worked together, very similar to the 3htrtog above but not as big.


Yarn over and pull yarn through stitch( the htr below): 3 loops on hook.
Now identify the top of the 2 chain and you are going to put your hook through this and pull yarn through- the T pin is showing the place. There's 2 loops above and one loop below the hook when inserted.
So from 3 loops on the hook you go yarn over and put hook into top of 2 chain( the chain nearest to the previous htr) pull yarn through: 5 loops on hook.
As shown below.
Then yarn over and pull through all 5 loops in one go. One loop on hook as below.
Now you work the 2 chain stitches and turn the work.

I show you in turquoise and then have to redo it it in pale aqua as I have worked 2 rows turq already and I need to change colour- oops wait a moment.....

But before I go I'll just show you where the FIRST htr of a row is worked in the NEXT row after the 2 chain and AFTER turning: VOILA: the pin shows you the stitch to go into.
CLICK on the picture and it will go full screen and you can then enlarge even more at your leisure .


Now I'll return to my correct colour but actually this is NOT as easy to see so the above was useful after all!

I find the pale aqua does not show up well on the white ground, sorry. Clicking will help.

2 chain as before and then:

The first htr is about to be worked.

I do so hope this has been helpful. Please leave a comment if you have any queries or contact me on Ravelry if that is more convenient?
HAPPY HOOKING AND HAPPY EASTER-Y RIPPLING!!!!!!
















Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 4 October 2013 at 12:36 , Blogger Hold'nHailey said...

Ive spent 2 hours trying to read your entries on how to do this, and I cannot figure out how you started this. I can get the peaks and 'dips' just fine, but im ending with a 3tog every time. How exactly would you start this with just 2 repeats?

 
At 9 October 2013 at 10:42 , Blogger MerrySusan said...

Hi Hailey

I will try to help but I did this tute about 6 years ago so you'll have to bear with me? It's lucky I happened across it as It's my archive blog, NOT my current ''live'' one...
When you've done your last point, you work HTRs until you have only 2 sts left to work: one of those two is the top of the turning chain ( 2ch) IN THE ROW BELOW and one is an ordinary Htr.
Then you work the 2 htr tog as in the photos?
Then when you turn you work the next stitches as in the photos. I'll have to go and have a go myself now as I really have not worked these exact same ripples for 6 years! I'll see if it works for you, but at the same time it must have done at the time, because I photographed it? If that makes sense?
Can we discuss and move this along on Ravelry please?
Contact me on www.ravelry.com and I am Merrystitcher, you can send me a private message there.

 
At 9 October 2013 at 10:46 , Blogger MerrySusan said...

Sorry I meant to say 4 years ago not 6 , 6 years ago was a different ripple blanket, one made in Brett Marble Chunky....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home